In response to information from the health authority regarding the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), the National Forest Corporation (Conaf) has decided to temporarily close all national parks, national reserves and natural monuments until the health alert is lifted by health authorities.
Located between the Almirante Montt Gulf and the Last Hope Sound, Puerto Natales is the entry point to the Eighth Wonder of the World: Torres del Paine National Park. It’s also the starting point for expeditions to more remote areas, such as the Montañas Fjord in Kawésqar National Park and the Balmaceda and Serrano Glaciers in Bernardo O’Higgins National Park. From the town, you can take in the beauty of pristine landscapes while walking down the road that winds along the shore, exploring the forests at Dorotea Peak, or kayaking on Sofía Lagoon.
The town’s streets and architecture help tell the story of the region’s history, and large farms dot the pampas of the countryside, which was long the territory of the Aonikenk people. Juan Ladrillero set out on the first expedition to sail the Last Hope Fjord in 1557, and it wasn’t until three centuries later that Fitz Roy led the second expedition. On land, Santiago Zamora––a cowboy known for his daring feats––was the first to make the trip around the Paine Massif, while in search of wild horses. Other explorers important to the history of the area’s modern settlement included Tomás Rogers (1877), Serrano (1889), and Eberhard, who was one of the first to settle in the area, in 1892. Puerto Natales was finally incorporated in 1911, and its sheep and cattle ranching industries reached their peak with the arrival of the «Puerto Bories Frigorífico,» a sheep meat and wool processing plant that is now declared a National Monument.
Puerto Natales has excellent offerings for tourists, including cafés, restaurants, a casino, picturesque shopping centers, museums, and travel agencies, along with large hotels and small lodging establishments with personalized service. For more information, visit:
Puerto Natales is located 153 miles north of Punta Arenas. You can get there on Route 9, which is paved. It’s also 30 miles from the Argentinian city Río Turbio; you can cross the border at Dorotea Pass, 17 miles from Puerto Natales, or at Casas Viejas Pass, 9 miles from Natales. It’s also 37 miles from Cerro Castillo and the Río Don Guillermo Pass along Route 9.
Buses run between Punta Arenas and Puerto Natales. Various departure times are available, and a few of the companies offering this route include: Buses Fernández, Buses Pacheco, and Bus Sur.
There are also daily buses available between Puerto Natales and the Laguna Amarga entrance to Torres del Paine. Companies include Bus Sur, JB, María José, and Juan Ojeda.
Finally, various companies offer daily bus routes between Calafate and Puerto Natales.
Ferries set out from Puerto Yungay and explore the Patagonian Channels in a voyage of 41 hours, ending at Puerto Natales.
From Puerto Montt, you can take an approximately 4-day cruise to Puerto Natales.
Day trips are available from Puerto Natales to Bernardo O’Higgins National Park, where you can see the Balmaceda and Serrano Glaciers and boat up the Serrano River to the town of Serrano, which is located near the park entrance of the same name.
Declared the Eighth Wonder of the World and Unesco Biosphere Reserve, the Paine massif is known as one of the most beautiful areas on the planet.
Kawésqar National Park is one of the largest parks in the world and the second-largest in Chile.
The largest national park in Chile and one of the largest in the world, with 26% of the park in the Aysén region and the remaining 74% in the region of Magallanes.
Cultural Building location, on the costanera (road along the shoreline): open from Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Municipal Terminal location: open from Monday through Sunday, 6:30 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. (during high season), and from Monday through Sunday, 6:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (during low season).
Sernatur (National Tourism Service) Office: open from Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (during high season), and from Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (during low season). Saturday and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
In January, the community holds its «Patagonian Festival of Artisanry and Tourism.
In February, the community also holds an Equestrian Festival, a festival celebrating Chiloé traditions, and its Lamb Festival.
In March, locals hold the Patagonian Sculpture Symposium.
Puerto Natales celebrates its anniversary in May.
Copyright 2018 Ruta de los Parques de la Patagonia
made in puerto varas by 2litros